Stories, Art, Food, Teaching, Travel, and the other Loves of my Life

Stories, Art, Food, Teaching, Travel, and the other Loves of my Life
"Tell me, what is it you plan to do / With your one wild and precious life?" Mary Oliver, "The Summer Day"

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Wednesday Writing: The Not Fun Kind

I usually have such positive associations with the word "writing"... I think of early mornings at my computer with a cup of tea next to me that I forget about until it turns cold, I think of scribbling lesson plans in my composition book with one hand and holding the current piece of inspiring literature in the other. I think of love notes tucked into E's work bag, I think of emails to my grandparents, cards to my cousins, old-fashioned invitations mailed out to friends addressed with my best attempt at calligraphy.

But sometimes, writing sucks. Think: appeals to traffic court. College applications. Resumes. Concerned letters to parents about what their child did/ said last week. Thankfully, I don't do much of this kind of writing, (and the college application process is blissfully behind me), so my writing is in a comparably luxurious state right now.

But when I have to do this not-fun kind of writing, I find it agonizing. And stressful. And it is one of the few things that can make a serious procrastinator out of me.

What kind of writing do you hate?

No comments:

Post a Comment