Stories, Art, Food, Teaching, Travel, and the other Loves of my Life

Stories, Art, Food, Teaching, Travel, and the other Loves of my Life
"Tell me, what is it you plan to do / With your one wild and precious life?" Mary Oliver, "The Summer Day"

Monday, December 13, 2010

What We're Having Tonight:


Errr, what we had Friday night.

There are about a million ways to make this dish, but this is the one I make 9 times out of 10. It's one of my favorite winter recipes, that only requires a handful of fresh ingredients so you can throw it together at a moments notice, and, for those of us from small towns in Northern California, tastes like home.

Posole: Feeds 6-8

Ingredients:
-Pork chops, cubed (I used about a pound)
-Shredded cabbage (I just get the bag from TJs)
-Julienned radishes (Skip this if you're not up to dicing tiny veggies)
-One large yellow onion, chopped
-2 28-oz cans white hominy, drained
-1 3-oz can diced green chilies, drained (as hot as you like)
-1 28-oz can diced tomatoes (the authentic version would omit these, but I try to squeeze in a few extra veggies)
-4-8 cloves of garlic, diced
-4 cups chicken stock (even at my laziest, homemade stock is worth it. I mean come on the soup practically comes straight from the pantry.)
-Olive oil
-Salt and pepper to taste
-Chile de arbol to taste

Directions:
-In a large dutch oven, saute the onion and garlic in olive oil over a medium flame until soft. Add the pork and cook until brown, about ten minutes. Add the green chiles and stir to combine. Sprinkle with chile de arbol, salt, and pepper.
-Add the hominy, tomatoes, and stock. Bring the soup to a boil for ten minutes.
-While the soup is boiling, fill bowls with a loose handful of the shredded cabbage and chopped radishes. Ladle the soup over the cabbage and radishes, let sit for a minute or two until the cabbage wilts. Serve with sour cream, lime wedges, and avocado, chopped cilantro if you're feeling fancy.

No comments:

Post a Comment