Stories, Art, Food, Teaching, Travel, and the other Loves of my Life

Stories, Art, Food, Teaching, Travel, and the other Loves of my Life
"Tell me, what is it you plan to do / With your one wild and precious life?" Mary Oliver, "The Summer Day"

Friday, April 16, 2010

What We're Having Tonight: Chicken Curry



I'm so glad the weekend is here... this week was crazy!

I used to have Fridays off, but now I have class until noon and students until 6:00, so I don't get home until 6:30. But I do have a break between 2 and 3:30, and I'll putter around the apartment, cleaning up and throwing something into the Crock Pot. I love coming home to the smell of dinner!

In college, E spent a year studying abroad in the UK, and he developed an addiction to Indian food. After we started dating, curry and beer on a Friday night became one of my favorite things.

On days you have the time to do the traditional version, it's better. But, this is my lazy-mama method:

Chicken Curry: Serves 4

Ingredients:

Canola oil- ¼ cup

Yellow onions- 2 chopped

Garlic- 4-6 cloves, minced

Ground Coriander, 1 ½ teaspoons

Ground Turmeric, 1 ½ teaspoons

Cumin seeds, 1 teaspoon

Cauliflower, 1 head, cut into bite size florets

Green Beans, 1 pound, trimmed and coarsely chopped

Salt to taste

Fresh cilantro

1. Brown the chicken: In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm a few tablespoons of the oil. Add the chicken pieces, and cook until golden brown on the bottom, about 4-5 minutes. Turn the chicken and cook until the second side is lightly browned, about 1-2 minutes longer. Transfer the chicken to the slow cooker.

2. Saute the vegetables and spices: In a frying pan over medium-high heat, warm the oil. Add onions and garlic, sauté until soft, about 5 minutes. Add coriander, turmeric, cumin seeds, and sauté until fragrant, about 30-60 seconds. Add about a cup of hot water and stir with a wooden spoon, scraping any browned bits off the bottom of the pan. When it starts boiling, remove the pan.

3. Add the cauliflower and green beans to the cooker. Pour the seasoned liquid over them. Sprinkle with a few pinches of salt (Himalayan pink salt is especially yummy) and stir to combine. Cover and cook on the high heat setting for 4 hours, or the low heat setting for 8 hours.

Serve over steamed basmati rice and garnish with fresh cilantro.

Note: If I'm being really lazy, I'll skip the green beans, and just toss in a bag of frozen peas about 30 minutes before serving...

Photo courtesy of Happy Tummy at http://www.happytummyblog.com

No comments:

Post a Comment